Thursday 15 November 2012

How to use Mica Flakes

Mica Flakes are really interesting! They're basically what Mica Powders start life as before they're ground down into powder form. There's tons you can do with them, but one of my favourites is making really fun little borders from them.

I know they look like they ought to be very scratchy, but they're actually incredibly soft to the touch.

They really do make fabulous borders, and they're very easy to put on with a Stick It Gluepen. I've got here a little square of card covered with Bundled Sage Distress ink, and I want to put a border on it for a card I'm making.

Using Mica Flakes

First, just squidge on a line of glue all around the edges:


 Next, smudge this with your finger to get a nice wonky border!


Sprinkle on the mica flakes. I'm using the Luna Silver here.


And just press them down around the edges.



I like to tap the excess off, then go back in and press down some more in case I've missed covering any little bits of glue.



Once you're happy with the effect, you can either give the piece of card a good flick on the back, or use a brush to brush off all the excess.


And here's my finished mica flakes card:


I'm really pleased with it! The "wish" and the snowflake were both done using Mica Powders. The little silver circle in the middle of the snowflake is one of my DIY Card Candy pieces!

More on both of those coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment!